Title: He is Not Weak Weak in Dealing With You 2 Corinthians 12.19-13.4
Speaker: Frank V. Ellis
Series: If I Must Boast
USE THE FOLLOWING TO EXPLORE TOGETHER GOD’S WORD. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO “COVER” ALL THESE POINTS.
- Pray together asking the Lord to teach us together His Word that we might believe it and do it.
- Ask someone to be ready to do step 3 below. Ask someone else to read 2 Corinthians 12.19 – 13.10 out loud as the group reads along.
- Everyone close their Bibles and ask the designated person to summarize what he/she remembers about the passage.
- Open your Bible and someone read 13.5. What is the test? Is this an examination that you have taken recently?
- What does Paul mean by the words “in the faith” when he writes: to see whether you are in the faith?
- Review Jude 3, Galatians 1.6-9 and explain the pertinence to the first part of this test.
- Christians have written CREEDS to sum up the basics of Christian doctrine. The most famous is called The Apostles Creed. Let’s read it together and talk about it:
- I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died and was buried.
He descended into hell.
On the third day He rose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy Christian Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen
- Paul next writes … Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? Ask members to share what union with Christ, that is “Christ in you” means to them.
- Review some of the passages quoted today. Galatians 2.20, Philippians 4.13, Ephesians 3.17, Colossians 1,27.
- How do we know Jesus’ presence is in our own life?
- Read and ask for comments about Romans 8.9-16, with the focus on verse 16.
- Is it to be expected that a person in whom Jesus lives becomes a different person because of His presence?
- Read 2 Corinthians 12.20-21 about Paul’s fear, literally his phobia. Is he afraid that these things which go on may indicate that some at Corinth are going to fail the test?
- Did Paul expect the church to be perfect in its sexual behavior and in its loving relationships?
- Talk about the word REPENT in v21.
- Read 2 Corinthians 13.11. Talk about the word “restoration”. This is the continuing work of salvation. Explain the connection between this and one of our four stated church puposes: We Are Called to Disciple the Saved
- Note 2 Corinthians 13.12. What does it tell us about the significance of even the way we greet one another; even how tonight we leave one another.
CLOSE. (perhaps stand, hold hands ….. someone read 1 John 3.16 By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.